Party Wall Act: What Is It?

Party Wall Act: What Is It?

The Party Wall Act is crucial if you’re planning work that will affect a shared wall between you and your neighbours. Here’s what you need to know

The Party Wall Act is a must-read if you are about to embark on building work in a semi-detached house, flat or terraced property. 

If you live in any of these, it’s likely you share a wall with a neighbouring building and will need an agreement regarding the Party Wall before you start work. And we are not just talking about big builds, it’s worth checking up if you need this for loft conversions, basements and extensions.

In order to make sure your work, building and digging doesn't affect any of your neighbour’s property structurally, it’s within your interest to make them aware, serve them a Party Wall Agreement and make sure a surveyor is in place to oversee any possible problems or damage.

About to start a project? Our guide to projects you can start without planning approval is a must-read.